"Shoot Out the Lights"

It's a Friday night and I've now listened to this record three times consecutively. After work, instead of the usual trip to a bar, I went to a new record store on Market Street (yes, there's a *new* record store) and picked up the following (all on vinyl):

Richard & Linda Thompson "Shoot Out the Lights" $18
Bangles "All Over the Place" $3
J. Geils Band "Best of...." $3
Folkways: Vision Shared "A Tribute to Woody Guthrie & Leadbelly" $7
David Bowie "Station To Station" $8

I'm psyched to listen to them all, but it'll probably be days before "Shoot Out the Lights" makes its way off the turntable. I mean, Richard and Linda wrote and recorded this record *while* going through a divorce. And despite the tension and lost love, they created this masterpiece. "Wall of Death" stands as one of the greatest songs ever recorded.

Let me take my chances....

0 comments: