Another Season Upon Us

Although rain pushed the Yankees' opener back one day, the 2008 baseball season is upon us. I'm the first to admit that many things about Major League Baseball turn me off: steroids, high ticket prices, greed, and imbalance amongst the teams, to name a few. However, no matter how hard I try to shake it, baseball is the one professional sport that I just can't see myself ever walking away from.

I've been attending games at Yankee Stadium for close to 34 years. Of those years, I'd say that I've seen at least one game in probably 30 of 34 seasons. I've seen some historic games/events first-hand, including David Wells' perfect game, Tom Seaver's 300th win, the 1996 World Series finale, Game 4 of the 2001 Series against Arizona (Tino's HR) and many others. There's nothing like this game. The nuances. The intelligence that goes into it all. The statistics. The seemingly endless season. The luck. The grass. A sunny Sunday afternoon at the ballpark. The debates throughout the stands.

The Yankees begin another season tomorrow. And in about two weeks I'll be at Yankee Stadium once again, talking stats, sizing up the pitching staff, predicting the summer's haul, and praying that they beat up on that hated team four hours north of the Bronx.

0 comments: