It Ain't No Sin To Be Glad You're Alive

I go on a Springsteen run about twice a year. And when I say "run", I mean nothing but Springsteen. In the past 4-5 days, I've watched about 20 YouTube videos, listened to about 150 Springsteen songs, just wrapped up the Live in Barcelona DVD and I may read 5-6 biographies tonight.

As I was watching the Live in Barcelona DVD I was hit with that feeling that Springsteen's music often elicits. As the crowd of about 20,000 joined for the opening lines of "Thunder Road", evoking a huge smile on Bruce's face, I had that feeling that only Springsteen's music brings on. Everything was swept away and I felt the euphoria that is rock n' roll. No pill, drink or drug can trigger such a pure feeling of joy. There's something about Springsteen's spirit that just grabs hold, sinks deep and makes it all seem worthwhile. Whenever he belows, "I know it's late, but we can make it if we run", I want to rifle my computer at the wall, get in the VW and drive about 2,000 miles. Why? Cuz "tonight will be free, all our promises will be broken."

Springsteen and the E Street Band are playing San Jose in a few months. I can not believe that I've yet to order a set of tickets. I've seen Springsteen about 45x and every single time I've departed the venue, I walked away feeling something, well, religious. I've felt saved. I've felt all my problems wash away in a moment. I've felt community. I felt something more important than myself.

As I type this, the rough guitar-part to "Backstreets" started blasting through my headphones and I felt it again.

0 comments: