Stuck on Book Five

I finished "Post Office" by Charles Bukowski well over two weeks ago. Since then, I made it about 90 pages into "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell before completely losing interest and about 75 pages into "Why I Write" by George Orwell before having to force myself to turn another page. The latter is a great read, but I'm just not in the mindset right now. Oh, I also read two pages of "Mystery Train" by Greil Marcus.

Whenever I reach these repeated impasses, I recall an article I read in the NY Times many years ago about this very topic. The writer concluded that if you're not into it, simply put it away; there's no need to force yourself to finish. With that advice in mind, I am putting these three books back on the shelf.

Tonight I will start "Dance Dance Dance" by Haruki Murakami. I'd like to finish it by the time I land in Austin on Wed. night.

Not a shot.

0 comments: