Two Weeks Out

Every morning since November 5th, I've opened my eyes, thought of the night of the 4th or the reality I've been trying to fully comprehend, and have had to remind myself that I'm not dreaming. And I mean that. We've had 14 days to let this election sink in, yet for me, it just doesn't seem possible. After eight years of Bush, Rove, Cheney, Wolfowitz, Rice, Ashcroft, DeLay, Rumsfeld, Gonzales, and hundreds of other corrupt, dirty, deceitful and unforgiveable "leaders", I still can't quite make sense of the shift this country took on November 4, 2008. Since 2001, I have become so accustomed to living under such a despicable government that I'm still having a hard time realizing that the American people actually voted against these folks. Karl Rove, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and their machine have been masterful at manipulating the American electorate and I remain perplexed that they lost this one.

On January 20, 2009, this country will hand over its leadership to a 47-year-old man of mixed race named Barack Hussein Obama. This man worked tirelessly for two years to convince the American people that they could trust him, believe in him and put their hopes in his hands. Even when the polls showed Obama pulling away in late-October, deep down, I still didn't think it possible. My outlook on American politics had been so damaged by the aforementioned folks that I simply couldn't foresee this change. And despite what the naysayers belt out, this is massive change. No, Obama won't do everything I want of him, and I'm certain that he'll make many mistakes, but he is worlds apart from the administration that will maintain leadership up until the third week in January.

Every single time that my thoughts turn to the election and Obama's victory, my mind has to pause for a moment and realize that yes, this really did happen. Yes, Barack Obama will be our next president. Yes, the American public voted him into office in a near landslide. And yes, some dreams are real.

0 comments: