Mickey Rourke at the Golden Globes


What a moment. I can humbly admit that prior to The Wrestler I didn't know much about Rourke. I'd heard of Barfly but never seen it. And I recall bits and pieces of a guy who'd squandered massive amounts of talent or something. Since first hearing of The Wrestler, I've found myself glued to his story. There is something about a person who rises and does it in such an honest and endearing way that's grabbed me. Rourke's acceptance speech last night only added to the sense that he's just a real guy, with real problems. He doesn't need the accolades, the fanfare or the fawning of the public. He just seems like himself.

His character in the film as well as the person behind that character represent the first time in years that I've really pulled for an actor. To see him win last night made my day.

"I'd like to thank all my dogs. Sometimes when a man's alone, that's all you got is your dog. They meant the world to me." -Mickey Rourke

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.