New York Times Magazine : Domains

I'm not sure if it's always referred to as "Domains", but every once in a while the NYT Magazine goes inside someone's home and pokes around, asks about their favorite things and so on. This week's guest is Lucinda Williams. Since I like this feature so much, I'm going to answer the questions myself:

Memorable rejection: At my first job out of college, I was scheduled to go on a date with a co-worker. When the day finally came, she told me she had to cancel because she had to "wash her hair". Seriously.

Favorite cover: Probably REM's take on Richard and Linda Thompson's "Wall of Death".

Best concert he saw: Slobberbone at Club de Ville in Austin, South by Southwest, 1999. It was pouring rain, the stage was a few feet deep in water yet they never let up for a second. Their cover of Neil's "Powderfinger" was rock n' roll perfection.

Always with him: My iPod.

Misconception about songwriting: That simple lyrics mean bad lyrics. A lot of folks trashed Jeff Tweedy for the song "Hate it Here". Just because the lyrics aren't obtuse doesn't mean that they're not impactful.

Morning routine: Usually up by 630am. Lie in bed and listen to NPR or head to the couch and watch bad TV. For two years I would head to my local coffee shop and hang with the owner, Mike. Since he's closed, I've been checking out new places.

Private property: I still rent. With some good luck and a break here and there, I hope to own within the next 18 months - probably somewhere outside of San Francisco. I just want a porch and a place for a dog to run.

Superstitions: I can't listen to a band on the day that I'm seeing them live. My friend did this and had a terrible experience at the Beacon Theatre.

Bad-luck protection: My grandfather's wallet.

Worst day job: Summer job as a custodian/janitor at my grammar school. The work wasn't all that terrible, but one of my supervisors was absolutely crazy. I was about 14 at the time and one day, in front of two other workers, he ripped my shirt off and pushed me around a bit. I feared that this guy would take my life. He hasn't yet.

Recurring bad dream: I've had dreams that something happened to my mother since my childhood. I guess I'm very protective of her.

Prized possession: My grandfather's wallet. He died in 1977 and had it in his back pocket. The wallet is plastic and has his drivers license and $6 in singles.

Childhood aspirations: I wanted to be a point guard for the New York Knicks. This lasted many years. Now that Marbury's gone, I'm kinda considering it again.

Evening routine: If Noreen's here, it's usually dinner and then a movie on the couch. If I'm solo, it's kind of all over the place. But every night, before closing my eyes, I read the following day's NY Times editorials on my cell phone (they come online around 1030pm PST).

Always in fridge: Always? Water.

He drives: 2002 VW Jetta. It's had some shifting problems since I bought it used in early 2005, but I still love it.

Favorite new gadget: I haven't bought a new gadget in years. I may get an iPhone someday.

Obsolete item he won’t ditch: My early hip-hop cassettes, although I can't seem to find them.

Household fuss: Noreen and I squabble over cleaning at times but we're getting better.

Pets: Two goldfish. One is very sick right now and may be on her way out. We've spent the last two days trying to find ways to heal her. I've gone to the fish store twice.

Nagging injury: TMJ. It started when I was 16 and I doubt it will ever go away.

Biggest self-indulgence: Records. No matter how broke I am, I can't stop. Bonnie "Prince" Billy's new record has already been ordered from the Drag City Records site and The Minus 5's Down With Wilco is on the way from Yep Roc. It's very cliche, but I am absolutely in love with vinyl records.

Fictional character he identifies with: I'd have to give this one some thought, but perhaps Mark Ruffalo's character in You Can Count on Me. There's a simplicity and internal struggle that I suppose I can relate to. Maybe more so in the past, but I still get it. There's definitely someone else more apt, but I'm at a loss right now. Maybe the protagonist in Bill Morrissey's fantastic and hard-to-find novel Edson.

Next big purchase: Ask Noreen.

Most self-referential possession: A photo of my mom holding me when I was a baby.

0 comments: