Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize?" in Merrill Lynch Ad


Can't say I do, Wayne.

I understand that the days of ripping bands for licensing their tracks have about come to a close. With declining physical sales, a recession, and so forth, it's hard to argue against a band in need making a quick buck on the backs of some corporate suckers. That said, I think it's worthwhile to point out the ones that go, perhaps, a bit too far.

Merrill Lynch, one of the major recipients of bailout cash, and one of the companies responsible for the near dismantling of the world economy, is in a different category. And the Flaming Lips are a band that have been selling out venues for 20 or so years. They've certainly paid their dues, and although their silly live shows have become incredibly tiresome, I can understand the appeal for a quick buck. But I can only guess that Wayne and company live fairly comfortably now. And they're deserving. But do they really need to take one of their best songs and sell it to the frat boys at Merrill Lynch? I haven't cared much for the Lips since The Soft Bulletin, but c'mon fellas, find a better suitor.

0 comments: