Songs of the Decade : Arcade Fire "Windowsill" (2007)



Arcade Fire released two records in the 2000s, both of which are among the best records of the decade. The second, Neon Bible, is often overlooked due to the hysteria around its predecessor, but it may be as good, if not better. The album is full of powerfully spiritual? songs, but it's "Windowsill" that seemed to sum up a lot of my feelings during the era of Bush and Iraq. Man, what a song.

Don't wanna give 'em my name and address,
Don't wanna see what happens next,
Don't wanna live in my father's house no more.
Don't wanna live with my father's debt,
You can't forgive what you can't forget,
Don't wanna live in my father's house no more.
Don't wanna fight in a holy war,
Don't want the salesmen knocking at my door,
I don't wanna live in America no more.
'Cause the tide is high,
and it's rising still,
And I don't wanna see it at my windowsill.

0 comments: