Songs of the Decade : Freedy Johnston "Anyone" (2001)


Freedy Johnston may be responsible for my career over the past 13+ years. In the summer of 1995, while home on summer break and working an awful part-time telemarketing gig, I was finally starting to think about what course I'd take following one more year of college. Waffling between another decade or so of post-grad study and my purest passion, music, I sat one day in my bedroom and flipped through the liner notes of Freedy Johnston's Can You Fly. I was in love with the record at the time and played it endlessly throughout that summer. My eyes suddenly locked on the label: Bar None Records, Hoboken, New Jersey. I lived only about 25 minutes from Hoboken. The next morning I called Bar None and asked if they needed any summer interns. "Sure, come down tomorrow," said the cool woman on the line. And thus it began....

0 comments: