Vic Chesnutt (1964-2009)


According to the New York Times, singer-songwriter Vic Chesnutt has died.

I stepped out of my car last night to meet a friend for dinner and suddenly arrived a text from a friend in New York: "Vic Chesnutt is in a coma." My stomach sank. After not listening to Vic's beautiful music for some time, I listened to 1998's The Salesman and Bernadette about six times this week. If you look to the right, it's been my "Now Playing" for about five days. While browsing the racks at Amoeba yesterday, I actually had his new record At The Cut in my hand, before changing my mind at the last moment.

For those who don't know, Chesnutt has been confined to a wheelchair since the age of 18, following a car accident. Chesnutt's songs have been covered by REM, The Smashing Pumpkins, Garbage and Madonna, to name a few.

Vic Chesnutt was 45.

0 comments: