The New Orleans Saints

My waning interest in sports has been covered ad nauseum on this blog. However, there are times when the game can mean more than money, arrogance, corporate-sponsorships, greed, drugs and the rest of the things that have played a part in turning professional sports into something akin to a Wall Street corporation with muscles. Like the Yankees following the 9/11 attacks, the New Orleans Saints are one of those stories.

Following Hurricane Katrina, you may recall that there were actual calls to just let the city go. A city so deep in history and Americana was almost left to die. A lackluster, and almost non-existent government reaction, certainly didn't help. As far as I know, the city still has a long way to go. But today was their day. I have friends who call New Orleans home, and a few months ago we met up in San Francisco. I asked one of them how important this Saints run was to the city of New Orleans. His reaction really said it all. He didn't really put it into words, but it was clear that it means absolutely everything. It's given a little swagger back to a city that's suffered for over five years. It's brought hope back. And perhaps most importantly, it's been a fun and thrilling distraction.

I haven't watched a minute of a playoff game this year. Without a television, I had to rely on my computer and texts from friends to find out the results. This game was the first time this year that the game of football grabbed at my heartstrings. For my friends in New Orleans, and for the city as a whole, I wanted the Saints to make it to their first ever Super Bowl. And boy did they.

Congratulations to the beautiful city of New Orleans.

0 comments: