Miles Kurosky's "The Desert of Shallow Effects"

Yesterday marked the release of former-Beulah frontman Miles Kurosky's first solo record The Desert of Shallow Effects. It's been seven years since the last and final Beulah record, so this is a huge welcome. I still maintain that The Coast Is Never Clear (2001) is one of the best records the Beach Boys never recorded. (And I actually like Beulah more than the Beach Boys.) 1999's When Your Heartstrings Break isn't far behind. I also have quite a fondness for the Beulah documentary A Good Band Is Easy To Kill.

Kurosky's led a very interesting path, having been an indie-rock darling of sorts, while also working in the digital-music world. I have friends who used to work with him at one (or maybe two?) digital start-ups here in San Francisco. I believe he's now relocated to Portland. It was last year that I discovered that The Coast Is Never Clear had a limited vinyl release. Where did I send a check? Right to Miles.

I'm only on song three right now, but this really sounds like a continuation of Beulah, and in a good way. It sounds fresh, but still awash in that sprawling, pop beauty.

It's good to have Miles back.

0 comments: