Music

As I sit here listening to the new Josh Rouse record, I can't help but reflect on the impact music had played in my life. It's shaped my career, it's impacted how I carry myself, it's constantly tempering and exploring my emotions, and aside from the people I'm closest to, it's the most important thing in my life.

At aroung the age of ten, my father introduced me to Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, The Beatles and countless others. Over the next 22 years its been Public Enemy, Neil Young, Uncle Tupelo, The Jayhawks, Elliott Smith, The Replacements, Wilco, Josh Rouse, Eels and countless, countless others. Music runs through my blood and brain every day. No matter what's going on in my life, music is always there. I simply couldn't imagine existing on this Earth without it. I've gone through many relationships, fears about life and all of life's emotions, but no matter what, the sounds that come through my speakers or headphones carry me through.

Last week I spent each day experiencing bands of all different styles in live settings. Time and again over the course of this week I was reminded of the importance of this art in my life. The writing, the guitars, the melodies, the abandon, the beauty - it all breathes life into my own life. It always has and I can only assume that it always will.

0 comments: