First Impressions of Wilco (The Album)



As I'm sure you've noticed, I rarely, if ever, review records right after they come out. Unlike films or books, records take me months, if not years to fully absorb and offer up a real opinion. That said, I've now listened to the new Wilco record, eh, maybe fifteen times, and I'm gonna say that this is a mighty fine record. "One Wing" sounds like the best song on the record, with "Bull Black Nova" a close second. "You and I" is a pretty little ballad. It's the second part of the record that I'm still trying to wrap my arms around. The first half is very good.

My guess is that this one will fall in the middle of the Wilco canon, behind Being There, Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, perhaps even with Sky Blue Sky and a step above A Ghost Is Born and A.M.. Then again, it's far too early to really say. But thus far, this sounds like another great release by a band that is likely the best American band since R.E.M.

0 comments: