Springsteen: We Shall Overcome

If you get a moment, check out the new Springsteen video at www.amazon.com. Just when I thought an album of Pete Seegers covers meant that Bruce might be uninspired, once again Mr. Springsteen proves me wrong. These may be covers, but my lord are they fused with heart and soul. This tune "John Henry" makes it nearly impossible for me to not cut rug.

This tune reminds me of the Smithsonian's "Anthology of American Folk Music" that came out a few years ago. I'll never forget hearing Chuck D. of Public Enemy raving about this collection. That's right, Chuck D. raving about The Carter Family, Dock Boggs and other early folk guitar-pickers. I recall Chuck saying that there wouldn't be rap music without these folks. It all comes together people.

In a time when we desperately need musicians, writers, filmmakers and other artists to speak out, Springsteen breathing life back into Pete Seeger's work is sweetness to these ears.

0 comments: